4:58 PM – Acting upon information received from the Oakland Police Department, Sgt. Scott Mc Govern determined that a counterfeit $20 bill had been used at the Glen Rock CVS to make a small purchase and receive change. The actor, a 29-year-old Fairview man, was arrested for passing counterfeit money in Oakland and was found to have a receipt from the Glen Rock CVS on his person.
Upon viewing video surveillance at the CVS Store, Sgt. Mc Govern was able to confirm that it was the same man who had passed the counterfeit bill in Glen Rock. The actor was subsequently charged with Forgery, Theft and Theft by Deception.
7:32 PM – A Glen Rock man reported that an unknown individual put a fraudulent stop on his mail with the US Postal Service. When his wife retrieved the family’s mail she discovered a letter from the Social Security Administration that an unauthorized online account had been opened as well as a duplicate Chase debit card they had not requested. The Post Office has also discovered that someone had attempted to have the mail forwarded to anther address.
The matter has been referred to the US Postal Inspection Service which investigates all crimes involving U.S. Mail which are federal offenses.
12:25 PM – A Glen Rock man reported being notified by his bank of a shortage from his checking account. Upon review he found that a check he had mailed has been intercepted and altered. The check, originally written for the amount of $43.00 had been altered to $ 7,000 and made payable to an individual unknown to him. The man recounted that he mailed the check on January 31st from the US Postal mailbox located on West Plaza near the Source Building. His bank has been notified.
The Detective Bureau is currently reviewing this matter in cooperation with the US Postal Inspection Service.
3:03 PM – Patrols, along with the Glen Rock Fire Department, were dispatched to a heavy smoke condition reported by a Harding Road resident. Investigation found the source to be unlawful outside burning at a vacant house on Sterling Place. The Fire Department extinguished the fire and notified the contractor, C and E Construction out of Mahwah of the prohibition against open burning on construction sites.