History of Coleman School
Clara E. Coleman was a small woman with an enormous talent for teaching. In 1911 she began her long career in educating Glen Rock elementary school children at School No. 1. When Central School was built, she continued teaching the first, second and third grades until her retirement in 1947. Clara taught for a total of thirty -six years.
The first building named for Clara was the new elementary school built adjacent to the Junior High School on Harristown Road in 1950. In his tribute to Clara, Supervising Principal, Dr. Kenneth Coulter stated that “she was so dedicated to the children of Glen Rock that naming a school after her was the best way to let her know how much our town admired her.”
Clara E. Coleman’s name was transferred to the new and larger elementary school built in 1954 on Pinelynn Road, to allow the original structure to be absorbed into the expanding high school facilities.
60 Years later…..
Many of Glen Rocks children have passed through the halls of Coleman School with such teachers as: Mrs Whitlock, Mr Monore, Mrs Sweeny, Mr Van Delden, Mr Schumer and of course Principal Dr Kriesmer. Because of these years of education and memories, Coleman School wanted to share the memories one more time on Homecoming weekend with an open house.
There were many special guests present including: